Napoleon Hill – Think and Grow Rich
apoleon Hill is an inspirational author to the folks at ViaWaVe Inc.:.
Entrepreneurs are a different breed. As a group, we tend to be feverishly passionate about our businesses and our work. Like many other entrepreneurs, I was affected by the words of Napoleon Hill. Hill’s work identified 13 principles for success – one of which was Mastermind. These are his famous 13 principles:
1. DESIRE. Hill believed that a burning desire is the starting point for all achievement. Do you have a burning desire? Have you ever had one? It seems that those who are most successful in life live their lives as a series (or a cycle) of desires, passions, and accomplishments.
2. FAITH. In this context faith is about visualizing and believing that you will attain your desire.
3. AUTO SUGGESTION. Today, we call the concept of auto suggestion affirmation. This is the practice of repeating positive thoughts in order to influence your subconscious mind. An affirmation should be in the present, even if you don’t have it yet. So, if your goal is to create a multi-million dollar business, your affirmation would be “I am building a multi-million dollar business.” As your plan becomes clearer you would say “I own a multi-million dollar business.”
4. SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE. Those who pursue knowledge and professional competence are more confident, more competent, and more likely to succeed. What do you do to make yourself professionally competent? How do you continue your professional education?
5. IMAGINATION. As you go about your day think about ways in which things can be done better.
6. ORGANIZED PLANNING. Every goal needs a plan. When you have a plan in place you know what to do next. You’ve heard the cliché – If we fail to plan, we plan to fail.
7. DECISION. Hill found that successful people are able to reach decisions promptly and change their decisions slowly. What makes a decision good or bad is not necessarily the outcome. Instead, the process that was used to reach the decision is the key. Hill saw the decision making process as a way to master procrastination.
8. PERSISTENCE. Simply stick with it. Don’t quit!! And, don’t take no for an answer. Instead find a way around your obstacles – which takes us back to imagination.
9. MASTERMIND. According to Hill, a Mastermind team is a small group of people who come together with a dedication to a shared goal. Masterminding is engaging in focused conversation and brainstorming with others on a common path. Typically, the issue at hand is business related but the mastermind process could be used around almost any dilemma, project, or experience. Masterminding works because five heads are better then one. And, the sharing of information and ideas allows us to benefit from each other’s knowledge and experience.
10. THE MYSTERY OF SEX TRANSMUTATION. This is the ability to switch the mind from thoughts of physical expression, to thoughts of some other nature. Additionally, Hill found that almost every successful person had a supportive person (a love interest) to count on.
11. THE SUBCONSCIOUS MIND. Hill talked about using your mind to visualize your future as you want it to be. And, he talked about following your hunches – the messages that you get from your subconscious mind.
12. THE BRAIN. How much of your brain’s full potential do you use? Maximizing your brain power means thinking through your problems instead of emotionally reacting.
13. THE SIXTH SENSE. According to Hill, when you have mastered the first 12 principles you can go through the door to the Temple of Wisdom and tap into your sixth sense – infinite intelligence.